Who Shouldn’t Consume Alcohol?
You shouldn’t consume alcohol if you…
- are under the age of 21 years old;
- are pregnant or attempting to get pregnant;
- are a recovering alcoholic;
- are taking prescription or over the counter medications (check with your doctor and heed warning labels);
- have a health condition that could worsen as a result of consuming alcohol;
- plan to operate heavy machinery.
Moderation is the key
According to the mayo clinic Moderate alcohol consumption for healthy adults:
- Up to one drink a day for women of all ages (over 21)
- Up to two drinks a day for all men aged 21 – 65
- Up to one drink a day for men over 65
A “drink” is defined as:
- Beer 12 fluid ounces
- Wine 5 fluid ounces
- Distilled Spirits (80 proof) 1.5 fluid ounces
- Lower Risk of Heart Failure
- Reduced Chance of Developing Type 2 Diabetes
- Decreased Chance of Developing Dementia
Heavy consumption of alcohol can negatively impact your health with prolonged abuse. Also serious consequences have been associated with short-term bouts of heavy consumption or “binge drinking”, as well.
Negative Effects on the Brain
Binge drinking can impact brain health and can be seen in slurred speech,coordination issues, memory loss and impaired judgment.
Prolonged alcohol abuse impacts brain health in even more dramatic ways such as permanent brain damage, dementia and even shrinkage in the frontal lobe region.
Reduced Nutrient Absorption
Heavy prolonged alcohol abuse can lead to malnutrition as it can impact the body’s ability to properly absorb nutrients.
“…alcohol inhibits the absorption of nutrients in the small intestine and increases the transport of toxins across the intestinal walls, effects that may contribute to the development of alcohol-related damage to the liver and other organs.”– National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Interferes with Sexual Health and Reproduction
- Infertility in men and women
- Erectile dysfunction in men
- Increased risk of breast cancer in women
For Optimal Health
- Don’t drink at all or…
- If you do drink, drink in moderation or…
- Discover delicious, healthy Mocktails!
GET 5 FREE MockTail Recipes!
Get my FREE guide to 5 Healthy Mocktails you can make at home!
These are super delicious and GOOD for you!! My favorite is the Avocado Margarita! I can’t wait to here which one you like best!
Get Your FREE guide Now at my PRIVATE Facebook Group PureHealth365
Did You Get Value?
Each Tuesday, I do a new Health Tip Tuesday Live on my Facebook Page so make sure to come “Like” my page and Connect with me on Facebook by clicking the link below: www.facebook.com/stevestearns365